Bala RFC | 1st Team 7 - 28 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team
Osian Jones
1 Try
1 Conversion
2 Drop Goal
Kalim Joshua Park Kelemete
1 Try
Geraint Owen Parry
1 Try
Huw Owen Williams
1 Try

Match Report
30 April 2017 / Team News

Bala RFC 7 Pwllheli RFC 28.

Conditions were good for this key Division 1 North League match. There was a gusting breeze which had little impact on the game and as always the long grass was a sanctuary for native game. Pwllheli's faithful supporters one again outnumbered the home ground and the boost this gives to players should not be underestimated.
The home side started strongly. Their pack did well against a bulkier Pwllheli eight and for much of the first period deprived Pwllheli's back line of possession. Bala utilised their potent three quarters to stretch Pwllheli's cover. Their half backs controlled the game well and Bala  had much of the territory for the first twenty minutes. Rugby can be  a cruel game and despite Bala's endeavour and commitment it was Pwllheli who scored first. Bala were finally penalised for offside on the half way line after twenty minutes. Osian Parry Jones' kick soared through the posts to give the visitors an unexpected lead. Bala's enthusiasm was not dimmed and they persevered in their fluid game. Time and again they threatened the Pwllheli line but well organised defence kept them out. On thirty minutes in Bala won the ball in midfield. Quick delivery to the right seemed to be covered but a Pwllheli player slipped and Bala were through. Two slick passes to supporting players put Owain Pugh in for a try under the posts. Rhydian Jones' conversion was a formality and put his side seven points to three ahead.
The score galvanised Pwllheli and they finished the first period on top. Thirty five minutes in Pwllheli took the ball into Bala's twenty two. From a set scrum Pwllheli took the ball right. They drew Bala's cover and passed to wing Osian Parry Jones. His strength took him through and over the would be tackler to score close to touch. Jones' conversion attempt narrowly missed. Parry Jones made amends in he last action of the half. Pwllheli were awarded a wide out penalty which Jones successfully kicked to give his side an eleven to seven interval lead. 
On Saturday face the long trip to face a resurgent Mold side. This game is of course the Championship clincher. If Pwllheli achieve a win of any sorts they will be Champions. If they draw or lose Nant Conwy RFC will take the honours. It is certainly squeaky bum time for the Pwllheli faithful!
Pwllheli put in a more concerted and imposing performance in the second half. They had a strong bench and this was utilised as the half progressed.
The Leyn side achieved more possession and were able to unleash their powerful back row who worked well in concert with their backs. Two incisive forward drives took Pwllheli in to Bala's red zone. Two sniping runs were held up but they then switched the ball right. The ball was taken by the rampaging number eight Huw Williams and he galloped through unscathed. Parry Jones' conversion gave his side some breathing space for the face time in the match as they led eighteen points to seven. Bala's spirit was undaunted and they countered strongly. They had a series of five metre scrums and also linesout with metres of Pwllheli's line. Pwllheli worked hard as an unit to keep them out and they will have been defleated when Pwllheli latched on to a Bala error to hoof the ball back into Bala's half.It was now Bala's turn to be under pressure. They held out from a series of surges but on twenty minutes Pwllheli's talisman second row Geraint Parry crashed over wide out on the left to score his team's third try.The conversion missed.
The last score saw Bala continue to work hard  but the game had turned Pwllheli's way. There was no further score until the forty fourth minute. Kalim Kelemete, watched by his parents who are visiting from New Zealand, saw that Bala's defence was dog legged as he jinked his way through to score Pwllheli's fourth and bonus point try.The hurried conversion attempt missed and the final whistle went.
This was a tough match which was paid in good spirit throughout. Both teams gave their all for the Club and teammates.Once again a credit to Community rugby. This was exactly the competition Pwllheli needed as they prepare for the Mold game on Saturday. Pwllheli's players were battered and bruised but will be all the better for it!!!
The Club have arranged a bus for the Mold match. Supporters are asked to register their interest as soon as possible as demand is already high. Likewise coaches for the Conway Land Rover North Wales Cup  Final on May 13 is filling up quickly. Kick off for this match is 3.00.
Pwllheli Seconds play a Gwynedd Cup match v Harlech at Pwllheli on WednesDay. Kick off 7.00.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos