Bala RFC | 1st Team 10 - 32 Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
15 May 2017 / Team News

Pwllheli RFC 32 Bala RFC 10

The Conwy Land Rover North Wales Senior Cup Final was played in good conditions and in front of a healthy crowd at Park Eirias. Though Pwllheli had won both previous encounters with Bala this season the matches had invariably been tight and hard fought. Pwllheli played with a strong breeze at their backs in the first half. They kicked effectively to make ground and after only six minutes they had worked their way through to the Bala twenty two. They took clean line out possession and set up a driving maul to put Bala on the back foot. They maintained the drive and their technique saw flanker Dafydd Anwyl cross for a try. Osian Parry Jones kicked the wide angled conversion. Bala responded with gusto. They dominated possession and territory for the next fifteen minutes. They used both forwards and backs to pummel Pwllheli but the Lleyn side's defensive structure held. On sixteen minutes Pwllheli had a second row yellow carded for a high tackle. Bala tried to take advantage but a loose kick ahead was scooped up by Pwllheli centre John Pugh. He made ground before releasing left wing Robin Hughes Jones. His pace took him past the misaligned cover and he darted fifty metres to score in the corner. The conversion attempt missed. The score did not reflect play . Until the thirty seventh minute it was nip and tuck with both sides were giving their all and were buoyed by their vociferous supporters. Bala now endured a nightmare six minutes. Pwllheli went in to a fifteen to nil lead with a well struck Osian P.Jones penalty From the restart Bala attacked. Sadly for them a dropped pass near the half way line was picked up by centre Pugh. His pace took him beyond the cover to score under the posts. The conversion was a formality. In the last act of the first period it was Jones again who slotted a penalty to take the half time score to Pwllheli twenty five Bala 0. Pwllheli limited their kicking game in the second period and they appeared comfortable with ball in hand. After six minutes they thought they had scored their fourth try but but the final pass was adjudged to have been forward. They put on three forward substitutes in the first ten minutes. Scrums and line outs went with the put in but rucks and mauls were fiercely contested. Bala varied their tactics but defences were uppermost for most of the third quarter of the match. Pwllheli drove the ball into the Bala twenty two. They were awarded an attacking scrum and it seemed as if scrum half and captain Nick Butterworth had crossed after a blind side snipe. As it was the referee awarded a penalty try following a Bala transgression. Now thirty two points to nil ahead surely the game was over as a contest. As it was Bala had not read the script . They threw the kitchen sink at Pwllheli and their endeavour and commitment was duly rewarded by two well earned tries.Substitute Endaf Jones touched down for his side after a concerted attack by Bala's pack. The kick missed.Three minutes before full time Bala's full back scored his team's second try. The attempt at goal missed. The season has been a memorable one for the Lleyn Club. They secured a third successive Division 1 League Championship after fighting off the stern challenge from the redoubtable Nant Conwy side. Pwllheli's veteran players also lost their bragging rights with the Cup win. Pwllheli had been in the final four times since their last success against Llangefni in 1994. but lost each time. The season's successes for the First XV were based on a strong foundation. The players worked as a squad and backed each other through thick and thin.They well well led by Nick Butterworth and the senior players The coaches, Ian Jones , David Martin and Jiffy Griffiths have worked well together and have produced a brand of rugby which suits the current squad. The back up of managers,first aiders, physio and officials have played their part.The Club however would be nothing without their supporters. They have backed the Club through the good times and bad and their influence on the Club's development cannot be overestimated. Finally of course the Club's sponsors and Vice Presidents have allowed the Club to continue to improve the Club's infrastructure for the teams of the future . Thank you all.. The Club now turn their attention to the Second XV. On Saturday they beat a committed Menai Bridge side in the semi final of the Gwynedd Cup by thirty one points to twenty six. Once again the team are indebted to the graft and commitment of Manager Euron Jones in ensuring that Pwllheli's second XV reaminsa viable entity. Pwllheli had won the toss for a home fixture but as Pwllheli's cricket team are at Bodegroes on Saturday the game will have to be played at a neutral venue. Details will be shared on the Club's Twitter, Facebook and website as soon as arrangements have been confirmed..

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos